You can install WordPress themes with using: WordPress theme uploader or FTP.
Method 1: Installing Themes With The Uploader
To install themes with the WordPress theme uploader:
- Download the theme.zip from the member area
- Login to wp-admin
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click on the "Install Themes" tab, then click on the "Upload" link
- Upload the theme.zip (note: it is the theme.zip, not theme-psd.zip) that you just downloaded from the member area
- Activate the theme
Method 2: Installing Themes With FTP
To install themes via FTP, you need to have a FTP software. If don't have a FTP software or don't know how to use a FTP software, follow the tutorial on FTP. Here are the basic steps on uploading themes to your server:
- First extract the theme zip (note: it is the theme .zip, not theme psd.zip) on your local computer
- Connect to your server via FTP
- Go to the WordPress root folder on your server, then go to "wp-content > themes" folder
- Upload the theme folder that you extracted from the zip onto the "themes" folder
- Then login to WordPress admin, go to Appearance > Themes
- You should see all the uploaded themes. Click on the "Activate" link to activate the theme (see screenshot below):
I don't see a zip file after downloaded
Some browsers (eg. Safari) auto extract the .zip file. Try to right-click on the download link and select download file as.
If you are using Safari, you can also disable the auto open feature: go to Safari > Preference and uncheck Open safe files after downloading.
WordPress says theme is broken or missing a stylesheet
Make sure you upload the theme.zip file, not theme-psd.zip file. The theme-psd.zip is the Photoshop mockup file.