You can install WordPress themes using: WordPress theme uploader or FTP.
Method 1 : Installing Themes with the Uploader
To install themes with the WordPress theme uploader:
- Download the theme.zip front the Member Area
- Note: some browsers (e.g. Safari) automatically extract zip files. Right click on the download link and select "Save Linked File As", which will allow you to download it as a zip file.
- Login to WP Admin
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click on the "Add New" button, then click on the "Upload Theme" button
- Upload the theme.zip file (Note: it is the theme.zip, not the theme-psd.zip that you just downloaded from the member area)
- Activate the theme
Method 2 : Installing Themes with FTP
If the WordPress theme uploader fails, you may install the theme with a FTP software. To install themes via FTP, you need to have a FTP software. If you don't know how to use a FTP software, follow the tutorial on FTP. Here are the basic steps on uploading themes to your server:
- First, extract the theme zip (Note: it is the theme.zip, not the theme-psd.zip) on your local computer
- Connect to your server via FTP
- Go the the WordPress root folder on your server, then go to "wp-content > themes" folder
- Upload the theme folder that you extracted from the zip onto the "themes" folder
- login to WordPress admin, go the Appearance > Themes
- You should see all the uploaded themes. Click on the "Activate" link to activate the theme (see screenshot below)
Some browsers (e.g. Safari) auto extract the .zip file. Try to right-click on the download link and select "download file as".
If you are using Safari, you can also disable the auto open feature by going to Safari > Preference and uncheck Open safe files after downloading.
Make sure you upload the theme.zip file, not theme-psd.zip file. The theme-psd.zip is the Photoshop mockup file.
This might be due to conflicts between plugins or WordPress. Follow this tutorial to fix it.