The Search addon is a WordPress plugin that works together with the Post Type Builder (PTB). It allows you to create a search template that is built specifically for a custom post types, that searches through your post type meta box, taxonomies, and support fields (i.e. title, excerpts, featured image, etc.).
Installing the Plugin
To install the plugin:
- First, you will need to download the plugin zip file from the Member Area on the Themify site.
- Note: Some browsers (e.g. Safari) may auto-extract zip files. Right-clicking on the download link and selecting "Save Linked File As" will allow you to download the ZIP version.
- Then go to your WP Admin > Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Now upload the plugin zip file and click "Install Now".
- After the plugin is installed, click "Activate Plugin" to activate the plugin.
FYI: If you can't install the plugin using WordPress plugin installer, you may also use a FTP software to install the plugin. To install plugins with an FTP method: extract the plugin zip on your local computer then upload the plugin folder to your FTP server where you installed WordPress > wp-content > plugins folder. Then login to your WP Admin > Plugins to activate the plugin.
How It Works
Note: This plugin will not work without the Post Type Builder (PTB) plugin installed.
- Install and activate the Search addon plugin
- Go to your WP Admin > Post Type Builder > Search Templates. Choose any custom post type you've created with PTB, or create a new post type.
- Select the custom post type that you would like to link the search form too. This ensures that only the selected post type is being filtered.
How to Build a Search Template
Similar to how you build a PTB Template, you can also build a custom Search Template by dragging and dragging the modules that are built with the post type.
Note: You can build an unlimited number of search templates with just one post type (i.e. Sidebar Search, Page Search, etc.).
Inserting Search Templates
You can insert a search template on any page, post, widget, or sidebar by copy and pasting the shortcode on a text editor.
How to Import/Export
You can also import/export search templates to any site using the PTB Search Addon. To export a search template click the "export" button on the template, and to import click on the above "Import" button.