There are several ways to upgrade the themes. You can upgrade the theme with the built-in auto upgrade, WordPress theme uploader or with FTP.
How do I know there is a new version?
If there is an update available, it will display a notification above the Themify panel. You can also find out by comparing the version numbers on the Themify panel. The theme's version number is shown on the top right corner and the number at the lower left corner is the Themify framework version. Clicking on the changelogs link will take you to the change log page, where it tells what has been changed.
Method #1) Auto Upgrade
To upgrade the theme, click on the "Update now" link. You may click the "change log" link to see the change logs before upgrading. The setting data is stored in the database. Upgrading the theme does not affect the setting data. But to be safe, go to the Transfer tab and click on "Export" button to download a backup of the settings.
You can also check if there are any updates available, or reinstall your theme by clicking on the "Update" tab. The "Check for Updates" button checks to see if there are any available updates for both your theme and framework. The "Re-install Theme" button re-install the theme for you with the latest version.
Method #2) Upgrading/Replacing Themes With FTP
You can upgrade the theme with FTP if the auto upgrade failed. FTP method is also great when you can't login to your WordPress dashboard. For example, if the active theme breaks your WordPress site, you can resolve the issue by connecting to your FTP server and deleting/renaming the active theme folder to something else. WordPress will then reset the active theme to the default theme.
To upgrade themes with FTP:
- Login to Member Dashboard to download the latest theme zip. If it is a free theme, simply download the zip again from our site. The zip on our site is always the latest version.
- Extract the latest theme zip on your local computer
- Connect to your server via FTP (see tutorial on FTP)
- Go to "wp-content > themes" folder
- Before you replace any files or folder on your server, we recommend to download a copy of the current theme folder to your local drive for backup
- Then replace entire theme folder
Method #3) Re-installing the Theme
If you didn't edit any core theme file or add any custom_style.css and custom-functions.php, it is safe to reinstall the theme without losing the theme settings and content. You may use the theme uploader to reinstall the latest theme zip. Again, backup your Themify panel settings before reinstalling the theme. To backup the Themify panel settings: on the Themify panel, click Transfer tab, then click "Export" button.
- Login to Member Dashboard to download the latest theme zip
- Login to wp-admin
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Temporarily activate a different theme (theme can not be deleted if it is active)
- Now click on the "Delete" button to remove the theme (the "Delete" link is located under the theme screenshot)
- Then click on the "Install Theme" tab (located at the top of the page), click on the "Upload" link, upload the latest theme zip and activate it (see tutorial on Installing Themes)
Method #4) Upgrade with Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin
Using the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin is a fast and easy way to update and backup your theme easily. Before starting make sure to backup your Themify panel settings before reinstalling the theme. To backup the Themify panel settings: on the Themify panel, click Transfer tab, then click "Export" button. The plugin will also create a theme backup and then upload the theme backup file on your media folder.
- Download the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin.
- Activate the plugin on your site.
- Login to Member Dashboard to download the latest theme zip.
- Login to WP Admin.
- Go to Appearance > Themes.
- Click the "Add New" button at the top of the page.
- Click the "Upload Theme" button at the top of the page.
- Click the file browse button to select your theme zip file. The button's text varies by browser. It typically says "Browse...", "Choose File", or "Choose...".
- Select the zip file with the new theme version to install.
- Select "Yes" from the "Upgrade existing theme?" option.
- Click the "Install Now" button.
If you need to backup the Themify setting panel: go to the Transfer tab and click on "Export" button to download a backup of the settings.
Common Upgrade Issues
- If you get "X" icon with your credentials, it is likely due to incorrect username/password. Verify your credentials by logging in the Member Area.
- If you get "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT" error after the credentials check, your membership might be expired. You may check your membership by logging in the Member Area > Invoices.
- If you get "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT" error, but credentials and membership are fine, your server might be blocking scripts to write files on the server. Then you would need to upgrade with FTP method.