Installing the Theme
To install themes with the WordPress theme uploader:
- Download the "theme.zip" file from the Member Area
- Note: some browsers (eg. Safari) auto extract zip files automatically. Right-click on the download link and select "Save Linked File As". This will allow you to download the theme as a zip file.
- Login to your site's WP Admin.
- Go to Appearance > Themes.
- Click on the "Add New" button, then click on the "Upload Theme" button
- Upload the theme.zip file (note: it is the theme.zip, not the theme-psd.zip that you just downloaded from the Member Area).
- Activate the theme
FYI: You can also install themes with FTP method. Read the Installing Themes tutorial for more info.
If you are starting a fresh site, importing the demo content will help you understand how the theme demo is built. The Demo Import feature will import the contents (posts, pages, comments, etc.), Themify panel settings, menus, and widgets setup from our demo to your site. You can erase the demo content afterward.
To import the demo setup:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Demo Import and click "Import Demo" button.
- Note that the featured images will be replaced with an image placeholder for copyright reasons.
To erase the demo setup:
- On the Demo Import tab, click on the "Erase Demo" button which will then remove the demo content.
FYI: If the Demo Import does not work on your site, you can use the WP Admin > Tools > Import tool to import the demo content manually.
Site Logo & Tagline
To display a logo image instead of the site name text:
- Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Customize > Site Logo and Tagline.
- Under "Site Logo", select "Logo Image" radio button.
- Upload a logo image.
- Specify the logo image width and height.
You can also change website Tagline from here:
- Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Customize > Site Logo and Tagline.
- Scroll down and under "Site Tagline" select "Text" radio button.
- Enter your site Tagline.
- Click "Save & Publish".
Main Navigation Menu
To create a custom navigation menu:
- Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Menus.
- Click on "create a new menu" to create a new menu (eg. Main Menu).
- Add the menu items from the left panels.
- To create a dropdown menu: drag the menu item towards the right (the item(s) will be indented).
- When you are done adding the menu items, click "Save Menu".
- To assign menu locations:
- Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Theme locations" and tick the menu location checkbox.
- Main Navigation = main menu on the header
- Footer Navigation = footer menu on the footer (Note: some themes might not have Footer Navigation).
TIPS: You can display menus on sidebar widgets, remove the main menu, create empty links, and lightbox links. Read Custom Menus for more detailed tutorial.
The Mega Menu feature allows you to modify the regular WordPress menu by adding mega posts, multi-column and fullwidth column menus with any links or widgets.
- Add a page, category, or custom link and select "Mega Posts" on the Mega Menu dropdown option
- Add a Tag or Category link in nested menu
- Note: Must be Tag or Category. This will display recent posts from the tag/category. If the Tag option is not available, click the "Screen Options" found on the top right corner and make sure that the "Tag" option is checked
- Add a page, category, or custom link and select "Fullwidth Columns" on the Mega Menu dropdown option
- Select the column layout from the preset that appears - Default is set to "Auto"
- Add any link (page, post, custom links, tags, category) or widgets. This will display nested links in multiple columns
Setting Navigation Titles Above Nested Links:
- With Fullwidth columns you can also set header titles that appears above nested links. To do this add another level of nested links under the initial nested links. See image below to do this:
- Add a page, category, or custom link. On the "Dropdown Column" option panel select the number of column to set (2, 3, or 4)
- Add any link (page, post, custom links, tags, category) or widgets. This will display nested links in number of columns set
- Select the Widget option
- Select any widget from the dropdown menu option
- Click "Add to Menu" and customize the widget on the menu as you like
Setting Up the Social Links
Step 1) To set up the social media links:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Social Links tab.
- The theme comes with some pre-filled social links. Simply enter your social profile URL in the Link input field. For example, enter 'https://twitter.com/themify' for the Twitter link.
- You can choose to display either "Icon Font" or "Image".
- If "Icon Font" is selected, click on "Insert Icon" to select an icon (over 320+ icons available).
- If "Image" is selected, you can upload your own graphic icon by clicking on the Upload button.
- To add more links, click on the Add Link button at the bottom.
- To remove a link, click on the delete icon.
- To arrange the display order, drag and drop the link container.
Step 2) Displaying the Social Links:
- Once you have the Social Links setup, go to WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets. Drag and drop the Themify - Social Links from the Available Widgets panel to the Social Widget panel.
- Optional: Customize Widget Title - such as "Follow Us". You can also "Show link name" and adjust icon size.
Hiding the RSS Icon
To hide the default RSS icon in the header:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Theme Settings.
- Under the "Exclude RSS Link", tick the checkbox that says "Check here to exclude RSS icon/button in the header".
Hiding the Search Form
To hide the default search form in the header:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Theme Settings.
- Under the "Exclude Search Form", tick the checkbox that says "Check here to exclude search form in the header".
How to Import Builder layoutsTo import a pre-designed Builder layout:
- Add a new Page.
- On the page's Themify Custom Panel > Page Options,
select the options as you like
- We recommend setting to fullwidth, no sidebar, and hide page title
- Optional: on the Themify Custom Panel, click on "Page Appearance" tab to set the design appearance of this particular page.
- On the Discussion panel, uncheck "Allow discussion" checkbox (this will disable the comments on the page).
- Publish and view the page frontend.
- Turn on the Builder on frontend, on the top admin bar, select Themify Builder > Layouts > Load Layouts.
- A lightbox window will appear where you'll be able to toggle between Pre-designed, Parallax, Custom Builder, or Theme layouts. Click on "Theme" tab and click on a thumbnail image to import.
- Pre-design tab consists of all Layouts in the Builder.
- Parallax tab consists of all Layouts that have parallax scrolling effect.
- Custom tab is where you find your own custom Layouts.
- Theme tab consists of the layouts built specifically for this theme.
- When it asks to replace or append the layout, click "Replace Existing Layout".
- Now you may replace the images and text as you like.
You can customize different header background in each individual post/page. These options can be accessed when you edit a page/post > scroll down to the Themify Custom Panel > Click on the Page Appearance tab.
Below are the following Header Background options:
- Solid Background = Allows you to pick a background color and upload background image for the header
- Transparent Background = Header background will be transparent (Note: The content container will push to the top of the page to achieve transparent header effect)
- Header Text Color = Color that'll be applied on any text on the header (Note: The color selected will also be applied on the menu icons)
- Header Link Color = Color that'll be applied on any links on the header (Note: The color selected will also be applied on the menu icons)
Unique Page Title Header
The theme comes with a unique page title header styling, allowing you to customize the header image, text, and overlay color. This can be applied to both categories and pages on your site.
To set up page unique header:
Edit page > Scroll down to your Themify Custom Panel > Click on the Page Options tab
- Page Sub Heading = Sub text that'll appear underneath the page title
Edit page > Scroll down to your Themify Custom Panel > Click on the Page Appearance tab
- Page Title Background = Set color overlay that'll appear on your unique page header. Also, add an image that you'd like to appear as a background image on your header
To set up category unique header:
WP Admin > Posts > Categories > Edit a category
- Description = The content added here will appear as a sub heading to the categories title
- Background = Set color overlay that'll appear on your unique page header, also add an image that you'd like to appear as a background image on your header
Post Style ClassesIf you are using themify_list_posts or themify_portfolio_posts to display the posts, you may use the "style" parameter to specify the post styles.
- auto_tiles = posts will display in a masonry tiles layout that is perfectly aligned top and bottom in the grid
- load_more = display load more button which allows viewer to load more posts on the same page
- post_filter = display a category filter at the top which allows viewer to toggle the post visibility by post category
- [themify_list_posts style="auto_tiles" post_filter="yes" load_more="yes" limit="7" post_meta="yes" image_w="600" image_h="600"]
Single Post Layout
To set the single post layout:
- Add or edit any existing post
- In the Themify Custom Panel, select the Post Layout icon
This is a default feature that's automatically applied when you query posts on a page or module. Because drop cap does not work well with center aligned text, the drop cap styling only appears on the single post that has left Content Alignment. You can also apply drop cap styling to any Builder Text module.
To apply drop cap on a Text module:
- On the Text module > Styling tab: enter 'drop-cap' in the "Additional CSS Class" and it will apply drop cap styling to the first letter of the text module (whether it is a paragraph or heading tags such as h1 to h6)
To disable drop cap:
- Simply go to your WP Admin > Themify Settings > Theme Settings > Under Drop Cap options > Check the option "Disable Drop Cap styling that appears in the first paragraph of post content/excerpt
This is a default feature that's automatically applied when you create a post or a page. This panel allows you to drop in any widget you'd like. To do this, go to your WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets. There you'll see the slide-out widget option where you can drag and drop widgets that'll appear on your slider-out widget panel.
Setting Default Post and Page Layouts
Generally, the theme works out of the box. All the sidebar options and image dimensions are pre-defined in the theme. If you need to change the default sidebar options, featured image dimensions, content/except display, post meta, etc., it can be done in the WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Default Layouts.
There are three default layout options under Themify > Settings > Default Layouts:
- Archive Sidebar Option: refers to the default home page, category, search, archive, tag pages, etc.
- Default Post Layout: is the post page direct URL (also known as "Single Post").
- Note: Some themes may only have 4 layouts.
- Default Static Page Layout: is the static page.
FYI: Read Default Layouts documentation for more info.
Creating a Blog Page (Query Posts)
To display/query posts on a page:
- First, create a new Page (in admin, select "Add New" under the "Pages" admin menu).
- In Themify Custom Panel, click "Query Posts" tab, select either "All Categories" or a Post category and select the other options as you like:
- Order = This option is used to set whether posts will be ordered in ascending or descending order.
- Order By = This option is used to set the attribute that the order of the post will be based on.
- Query Post Layout = This option is used to set the layout of posts such as grid columns, list posts, etc.
- Post Per Page = This option is used to set the number of posts shown per page.
- Display Content = This option is used to set what content is output for each post (None, Excerpt, or Full Content).
- Image Dimensions = This option is used to set the dimensions the posts images will be displayed at.
- Hide Post Title = This option is used to set whether the post title will be displayed.
- Unlink Post Title = This option is used to set whether the post title will operate as a link.
- Hide Post Date = This option is used to set whether the post date will be displayed.
- Hide Post Meta = This option is used to set whether the post meta will be displayed.
- Hide Featured Image = This option is used to set whether the featured image will be displayed.
- Unlink Featured Image = This option is used to set whether the featured image will operate as a link.
- Hide Page Navigation = This option is used to set whether the page navigation for posts will be displayed.
Setting a Custom Front Page
You can set any page as the front (home) page. This means you can use the Builder to design the page and assign it as the front page. To set the Front Page:
- Go to WP Admin > Settings > Reading.
- On the Front page displays, select the "A static page (select below)" option and then select a "Front page".
- Leave the "Posts page" default. If you want to create a custom Blog page, read this tutorial instead of setting the "Posts page".
To add widgets to widgetized areas (eg. sidebar and footer widgets):
- Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets.
- The big panel on the left side shows all available widgets. The small panels on the right are the widgetized areas.
- To add a widget: drag and drop the widget from the left panel to the right panel.
- To remove the widget: drag the widget back to the left panel (Available Widgets panel). If you want to keep the widget setting for future use, drag it to the Inactive Widgets instead of the Available Widgets panel. It will save your widget settings. To retrieve the widget, drag the widget from Inactive Widgets panel instead of the Available Widgets panel.
TIPS: You can also add widgets in Appearance > Customize panel.
To apply pre-designed color skins:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Skins, select a skin by clicking on the thumbnail and click Save.
To style the theme frontend appearance:
- Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Customize.
- It will take you to the Customize panel with live preview where you can style the appearance of the theme design (ie. color, background, font, spacing, border, etc.).
FYI: Refer to Customize documentation for more info.
- To set the Footer Widget column layout, go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Theme Settings.
- To drop the widgets in the Footer Widgets, go to WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets.
To replace the footer credit links:
- Go to WP Admin > Themify > Settings > Theme Settings and enter the footer text.
- HTML tags are allowed in the Footer Text.
- To have empty footer text, tick the hide footer text checkbox.