Quick Starter Guide
This quick tutorial will show you how to install and use Themify's WordPress themes.
1. Installing The Theme
NOTE: you need to have a copy of self-hosted WordPress installed on your own server in order to install the theme. You can not install custom themes or plugins on the accounts hosted at WordPress.com.
To install the theme:
- Download the theme zip from the member area. The theme zips in the member area are always the latest version.
- Login to your WordPress site's admin
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click on the "Add New" button, then click on the "Upload Theme" button
- Upload the theme zip that you've downloaded from our server and click "Install Now"
- Click "Activate"
You may also install the theme with FTP, read Installing Themes for details.
2. Theme Option Panel
After the theme is activated, it should redirects you to the Themify panel (theme option page). Under the theme option panel, there are four main tabs: Settings, Skins, Transfer, and Demo Import.
- General SettingsUnder the General settings tab, you can customize the favicon, feed URL, insert header code, footer code, set search categories, RSS feed, Google WebFonts subsets, and custom Google fonts settings.
- Default LayoutsIn the Default layout tab, you can customize the layout options for: index pages, single post page, and static page.
- Theme SettingsUnder the Theme Settings tab, you can customize the features specifically built for the theme such as WordPress gallery lightbox, transition effect, portfolio slider options, RSS, search box, footer credit links, and footer widgets, etc.
- Image ScriptIn the Image Script, you can customize or disable the img.php script that we use to dynamically generate the thumbnails.
- Social LinksUsing the Social Links tab, you can manage the social media links of your site, such as Twitter, Facebook and more.
- Themify BuilderUnder the Themify Builder tab, you can enable/disable the Themify Builder and customize the builder option to exclude the builder modules.
- Twitter SettingsIn the Twitter Settings tab, you can setup Twitter API settings to enable access to your Twitter account (note: required for Themify Twitter widget and Twitter shortcode.)
- Hook ContentUnder the Hook Content tab, you can add dynamic content to the theme without the need of editing any theme template file.
Under the Skins tab, you may apply one of the pre-built skins. If you want to create your own skins, read Creating Theme Skins.
Under the Transfer tab, you may backup or restore the setting data in the option panel. Click on Export to download the setting data for backup. You may restore the data by clicking on the Import button. The data in the option panel is stored in the database. Updating the theme or editing the template files does not affect the setting data.
3. Importing Demo Content (optional)
If you are starting a new site and would like to import the sample content as seen on the demo site, here are the steps:
- Go to Themify Framework Panel > "Demo Import."
- Click on the "Import Demo" button.
- A popup box will appear with the message "This will import demo and Override current Themify panel settings," just choose the "Ok" and the importing process will start.
- Now sit back and let the importing process finish.
- As soon as, the importing process finishes, you will see a "done" message and your demo content is successfully imported.
- Now you may edit or delete the content as you like.
Note: The Demo Import feature will import the content including (posts/pages), Themify panel settings, menus, and widgets. Due to copyright reasons, demo images will be replaced with a placeholder image. If the Demo IMport fails, you may also import manually using WP > Tools > Import.
At any time, you may clear the Settings by clicking on the RESET settings button located at the bottom of the option panel.
4. Writing Posts
When adding or editing a Post, there is a Themify Custom Panel under the content box which allows you to override the Default Post Layout options that you set in the Themify option panel. You can override the sidebar option, content width, feature image, image dimension, toggle the visibility of the post elements such as post title, date, image, etc. You can also define video embed URL such as YouTube or Vimeo, link featured image to external URL and link feature image or post title to lightbox image, video as well as, any iframe URL.
Additionally, you can also use Themify Builder, under the second tab, using "Switch to Themify Builder" button, it enables a drag & drop feature, that allows you to create your posts/pages from the frontend with live edits and previews.
To attach a featured/post image, simply click on the "Upload" button in the Themify Custom Panel or choose an image using Browse Library. The image will be automatically assigned as the post's Featured Image. The featured image is required if you want to display an image in the post, slider, and widgets. Read more on Featured Image.
5. Adding Pages
When adding or editing a Page, there is also a Themify Custom Panel under the content box.
It has three tabs, Page Options, Query Posts, and Themify Builder.
Under the first tab, you can customize the sidebar option, content width, hiding page title and adding a custom menu. From the second tab, you can query posts from specific categor(ies). To display the query posts, select a category from the Query Posts dropdown menu. For example, you can create a Portfolio page to query the posts from the Portfolio category. Additionally, using the third tab, you can switch to Themify Builder to create your page using drag & drop framework.
Tips: you may use any Page as your custom front page.
6. Site Logo and Description (Tagline)
To display a logo image instead of text:
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Themify Options > Site Logo
- Under "Site Logo", select "Logo Image" radio button
- Click on the plus (+) sign button, and upload a logo image
- You can also use custom site logo link (optional)
- Specify the image width and height
- To reposition the logo accordingly, choose the appropriate position from the Position dropdown, enter the values in "top," "right," "bottom" and "left" position.
To remove or edit the site description using Theme customizer
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Themify Options > Site Tagline
- Edit or remove the text in the Tagline field
- You can customized your site's tagline using customized fonts, text effects, alignments, and colors from the available dropdown options.
To remove or edit the site description using the native WordPress settings:
- Go to wp-admin > Settings
- Edit or remove the text in the Tagline field
To reposition the site description:
- Choose the appropriate position from the Position dropdown, enter the values accordingly in "top," "right," "bottom" and "left" position.
7. Custom Navigation Menus
To create a custom menu:
- Go to Appearance > Menu
- Select a menu to edit or click on the "create a new menu" link to create a new menu (eg. Main Menu).
- Add the menu items from the left panels (Section, Pages, Portfolio, Links or Categories etc)
- To create dropdown menu, drag the menu item toward the right (the item(s) will be indented)
- When you are done adding the menu items, click "Save Menu"
- Then switch to the second tab, where it says "Theme Locations", select the menu from the dropdown to assign it to the navigation location and click "Save Changes."
- NOTE: the custom menu can also be used with the widget (go to Appearance > Widgets and drop in the Custom Menu widget)
You can also use Conditional Menus in your site, using a separate plugin called Conditional Menus developed by Themify. As the name suggests, this plugin allows you to place menus in the theme as according to your needs. The plugin enables you to have different menus in different posts, pages, categories, archive pages, etc. It works flawlessly with all Themify theme, or just any WordPress theme that uses the standard WordPress menu function.
To add/remove widgets:
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag the widgets from the Available Widgets panel located on the left side to the widget area panel on the right (eg. Sidebar, Social Widget, Footer Widget, etc.)
- To remove the widgets, drag the widget from the widget area panel back to the Available Widgets panel. If you want to keep the widget setting for future use, drag it to the Inactive Widgets instead of the Available Widgets panel. It will save your widget settings. To retrieve the widget, drag the widget from Inactive Widgets panel instead of the Available Widgets panel.
To add widgets using Customize with live preview
- Go to Appearance > Customize
- Choose the widget area, where you want to add/remove widget.
- Now click on "Add a Widget" button.
- A list of all the available widgets will appear, now select the desired widget.
- The selected widget will be added to the widget area.
- Give the title to your widget, and your widget will go live on your site (note: it might takes a few seconds for the widget to populate in the preview window).
The theme also comes with a bunch of shortcodes such as: button, columns, image, quote, map, video, Flickr gallery, Twitter stream, post slider, list posts, box, and author box, etc. Read the shortcodes documentation, for more details on how to use and integrate them in your posts/pages.